Performing Arts : Dance
This Edexcel Level 2 BTEC First Certificate is the equivalent to 2 GCSEs grades A*-C.
The course contains a balance of practical skills development and theoretical understanding. There is no formal written examination. Students are assessed through practical performances, written coursework and working journals. Students will also benefit from being given the opportunity to watch live performances, both professional and amateur.
BTEC Dance consists of three units :
• Developing physical theatre performance: Students will learn to develop physical theatre skills. There will be opportunities to develop skills in movement, spatial awareness and voice through practical exploration. They will create work in this form using their bodies to develop characters, places and ideas and explore how stimulus materials such as plays, pieces of writing, stories and pictures can be developed into performance work. The students will work with dance, mask work and puppetry, whilst developing new skills in drama throughout this unit.
• Performing Dance : Students rehearse and perform choreographed dance pieces. It will also enable learners to demonstrate different dance styles in short performances.
• Contemporary Dance : Students develop their dance technique skills in one contemporary dance style. Pupils will take regular technique classes and will have the opportunity to demonstrate their skills.
Each unit is assessed using the grading criteria at Pass, Merit and Distinction level. There is also an overall qualification grade calculated from the unit grades. To achieve the BTEC First Certificate, all units must attract at least a pass grade.
Why take BTEC Dance ?
• To prepare for a career within Performing Arts
• To provide a broad educational base for further training, further education or for employment within Performing Arts or Dance.
• To be motivated through applied learning and assessment.
• Worth 2 GCSEs in the time it takes to achieve a single GCSE.
• BTEC qualifications are recognised by employers and educational institutions alike.
• Can increase a student’s self-esteem and confidence.
The following dance kit is required for lessons. Note there is a cost for this kit.
Plain white t-shirt / Plain black t-shirt
Appropriate foot wear i.e. black jazz shoes, black pumps, trainers / dance sneakers / barefoot, tap shoes, ballet shoes (the foot wear may vary depending on the dance style covered in lesson)
Please note leg warmers may also be worn during the winter period
Please also note that black leotards may need to be worn again depending on the dance style covered in lesson.
New Optional uniform:
Black dance t-shirt with name and B TEC DANCE logo - £10.00
A printed logo can be added onto your child’s dance bottoms for an additional cost of £5.00. The students want to design their own dance logo to add to their dance bottoms, so the design is yet to be confirmed.
Please note all hair must be tied up and no jewellery to be worn during lessons; stud earrings are acceptable.